The Festival Heritales is honored to invite you to its session in partnership with ASSP – Associação de Solidariedade Social dos Professores, which will screen the film of the competition of the V Edition entitled Queens of Orango.
In Guinea-Bissau there are islands where a very special people live, the Bijagós. They live in harmony with nature, taking from it only what is necessary for their survival. Their deep spirituality marks their lives with rituals leading to the acquisition of knowledge from their ancestors. Especially in Bijagós society, women are the protagonists. They decide how to manage the crops or punish crimes, they are the priestesses of the temple, who manage to communicate with the gods, with the forces of nature and the spirits of the dead. The woman is feared and respected.
This documentary focuses on the lives of women in Eticoga, the main town on the island of Orango.
- Target Audience: General public, youth, adults, seniors, students, researchers.
- Day: 20th of September 2022
- Time: 18.00
- Duration: 52 min + debate
- Location: ASSP Associação de Solidariedade Social dos Professores – Évora
- Presence of the director: Online
- Registration: Not necessary but preferred
- Extra Activities: Presentation by Takis Sarantoupolus (Heritales International Cordinator)